Tags & Title If You Are Coming to Maryland From Another State
The tag & title process when moving to Maryland can get a little confusing, follow the list below and call or stop in to Chesapeake Tag & Title today!
Please note the following
- Original Title: If your title is being held by a lien holder, you can click on the above button for (Out of State Letter Form) fill out completely and fax or mail to your lien holder so they can send us original title to register your vehicle in Maryland.
- Application for title form: click on the above button for (Title Application Form).
- Maryland Safety Inspection: Always required.
- Insurance Information: Maryland recognized insurance company and policy number.
- If your vehicle is 6 years old or newer and you have been a resident in Maryland for less than 60 days, you can apply for Maryland tax credit: Taxes on all vehicles 6 years old and newer will always be at least $100 minimum. The exact tax will depend on the amount of taxes paid in the state you are leaving. Maryland has a 6% tax and will credit you according to previous paid tax. Example Virginia is 4.15% tax therefore, a vehicle 6 years old and newer would be charged 1.85% tax of its current N.A.D.A. Retail Value.
- Vehicles entering Maryland from a state with 6% or greater excise tax will be charged a $100 minimum tax.
- Vehicles 7 years and older will be taxed on Maryland's minimum. 6% of $640 ($38.40 total tax).
- Maryland two-year plates, title fees, etc. are in addition to taxes.